Greenfield's Annual Winter Carnival
91st Year Celebration
February 1st-3rd, 2013
3 Days of Winter Play!
Brought to you by the
Greenfield Recreation Department
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS, VOLUNTEERS, ICE CARVER, AND FESTIVAL PARTICIPANTS WHO MADE THIS YEAR'S FESTIVAL A GREAT SUCCESS!
Winter Carnival Schedule of Events
Friday, February 1st Events
- Amateur Photography Contest and Exhibit in Studio C, 3rd floor at Wilson’s Department Store on display during store hours through Saturday, February 9. Black and white and color entries depicting Franklin County Winter Subjects/Scenes accepted at The Recorder Office Classified Ad desk (14 Hope St., Greenfield) until Thursday, January 24th.
- Live Ice Carvings Downtown- Artists will be sculpting ice throughout the day in front of our downtown sponsoring businesses. Check out the Ice Walk Map here! Vote for your favorite sculpture at the ballot box on the Town Common by Sunday, February 3rd at 10:00am.
- 5:15-7:00pm: Art Exhibit- Artwork by Greenfield Middle School students will be on display on the Second Floor of the Youth Center. Be sure to stop by and see our Young Picassos!
- 5:15pm: Cribbage Tournament- Fun For All Ages! Registration begins at 5:15pm on the Second Floor of the Youth Center. Play starts at 5:30pm. $10 registration fee. Boards available or bring your own board and cards. Winner and Runner Up will receive custom made cribbage boards. Open to anyone and any age! Pizza and drinks will be available for purchase.
- 8:00-9:50pm: Lights Out DJ Public Skate at the Collins/Moylan Area- Bring your glow sticks and have the live, ice-side DJ play your favorite songs. Rental skates are available on a first come, first served basis. $6 admission, $5 skate rentals
Beacon Field Events
- 5:00-7:00pm: Bonfire- Warm up by the fire at Beacon Field. Bring your own marshmallows and hotdogs. Sticks will be provided.
- 6:00pm: Fire Dancers- Join us at Beacon Field for a pre-fireworks performance by Pyro Productions who are sure to leave spectators of all ages in awe with an exhilarating show featuring fast-paced stunts with eye-dazzling pillars of flame, whirling snake torches, and blazing hula hoops that envelope the performers in curtains of fire.
- 6:30pm: Fireworks Display- Join us at Beacon Field for a dazzling kick-off to our Winter Carnival Weekend, with Fireworks being shot off of Poet’s Seat Tower. It’s a display that’s sure to captivate all ages.
Saturday, February 2nd Events
- 9:00-10:00am: Youth Basketball League Game- Greenfield Middle School. The Greenfield Recreation Basketball 5-6 team will be playing against local rivals. Game starts at 9:00am. Ages 11 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Admission is free.
- 10:00am– 2013 Sleigh Bell Run – 4 Mile Road Race. A scenic course starting on Hope Street and running through Highland Park area. Pre-register at Recreation Department or Town Hall or day of race at Hope & Olive Restaurant from 8:45-9:30am. Age divisions and prizes. First 75 entrants receive t-shirt and sleigh bell bracelets. $15 pre race entry, $20 race day. Youth under the age of 18 are half price.
*NEW THIS YEAR- REGISTRATION AND CHECK-IN WILL BE HELD AT HOPE & OLIVE RESTAURANT*
- 10:00am: Snowshoeing Trek led by Bicycle World Staff- Meet at the Highland Pond parking lot at 10:00am for a 60-90 minute free guided walk around Rocky Mountain trails. Bring your own snowshoes!
- 1:00-3:00pm: Public Ice Skating- Collins/Moylan Arena, by the High School. Winter Carnival Special-$3 Admission, $5 Skate Rental.
- 3:00-4:30pm: Pioneer Valley Vipers Sr Women’s Hockey vs the Valley Cats- at Collins/Moylan Arena. Free Admission.
- 6:00-8:00pm: 21st Annual David M. Petrin Memorial Alumni Hockey Game- Greenfield High vs. Alumni at the Greenfield Skating Rink (Collins/Moylan Memorial Skating Arena). Tickets $6 for Adults and $4 for Students and Seniors. Tickets are available at the door. Proceeds benefit the David M. Petrin Memorial Scholarship fund presented annually to GHS graduating seniors.
Winter Carnival Family Fun Day at the Youth Center, 20 Sanderson Street
Suggested Donation of $5 per person, $20 per family
- 9:30-10:00am-LEGO Competition for Grades K-6. Build your very own LEGO creation and display it at our Family Fun Day! Enter your home built creation to compete for most creative design. Drop off between 9:30-10:00am. Guidelines and entry form available online. $3 Entry Fee.
- 10:00am: Jack Golden Presenting “Garbage is my Bag” featuring Dr. T.- In this award winning show Jack Golden is the comedic expert, Dr. T.~ With a Ph.D. in Garbology, a zany and irresistible personality and a marvelous Trash-to-Treasure recycling machine, he juggles and jokes his way through a world of waste, while sharing his knowledge that rubbish is a resource too good to throw away. Sponsored by the Greenfield DPW.
- 11:00am-12:30pm: Art Exhibit- Artwork by Greenfield Middle School students will be on display on the Second Floor of the Youth Center. Be sure to stop by and see our Young Picassos!
- 11:00am -12:30pm: Face Painting and Winter Crafts for Kids- offered by the Recreation Commission.
- 11:00am-12:30pm: Greenfield Games will bring fun to the table with new and exciting board games for you to play.
- 11:00am-12:30pm: Photo Ops with Winter Props!- Bring your camera and pose with our giant Penguin, Polar Bear, and more!!
- 12:30pm: Happy Feet 2- Join us for this winter inspired movie
- Ongoing- Popcorn, Pizza, and Drinks available for purchase
Sunday, February 3rd Events
- 8:00am-10:00am: Breakfast with Frosty at The 99 Restaurant- $6.00 per person. 10 and under $4.00. Two years and under free. Bring your family and friends to help support Greenfield Winter Carnival! Tickets available in advance and at the door. Purchase at the Recreation Department, Town Hall or from a Recreation Commissioner.
- 1:00pm-3:00pm: Public Ice Skating- Collins/Moylan Arena, by the High School. $5 Admission, $5 Skate Rental.
Beacon Field Events
- Ongoing: Sledding & Outdoor Ice Skating- Come enjoy the Beacon Sledding Hill and our new Ice Rink. Available all winter long! Bring your own sleds or skates.
- Ongoing: Snowman Village- help build our annual snowman community at Beacon Field. Bring your own decorations and design your own snowman. Construct your own member of the Winter Carnival’s Snowman Village. Make memories--take your picture with the Headless Snowman!
- Ongoing: Snow Sculpture Contest- First come, first claimed for pre-built snow mound (weather permitting) or make your own. Add your own fun accessories. (Food coloring only for colors please – do not use paint). Start as early as you would like. Judging begins at 3:15pm.
- Ongoing: Marshmallow Toasting by the Bonfire- Sticks and Marshmallows provided.
- 11:00am-3:00pm: What is your vision for Greenfield? - Come meet members of the Master Plan Advisory Committee and engage in dialogue about the future of Greenfield. The plan will create a vision for a vibrant Greenfield. On February 9th from 9-1 PM, there will be the first public workshop to bring your ideas to make a better Greenfield for the future – location TBD soon.
- 12:00pm: Cookie Bake Off- Enter to win our Cookie Contest. Drop off your favorite cookies to Beacon Field at 12:00pm. Bring a minimum of 2 dozen cookies per entrant. All cookie types welcome. Please share recipes or ingredients. Categories: Most Original, Best Overall and Best Decorated!
- 12:00pm: Chili Cook-Off- Come sample chili prepared by our local restaurants who will be competing for bragging rights for “The Best Chili Around”
- 12:00pm: Working AKC Siberian Huskies Demonstration- presented by the Blanker Family. Learn about the breed, the sled, how to hook them up and observe the demonstration.
- 12:00pm-1:00pm: Hockey Match- The Franklin County Sheriff's Hockey team will challenge the Franklin County Fire Fighters at the Beacon Field Outdoor Rink. A "Pond Hockey Rules" style game: 4 on 4 with goal boxes. These teams have faced each other 2 other times indoors, with the Fire Fighters and the Sheriff's each winning a game. Come watch the rivalry continue outside at Beacon.
- 12:00pm-4:00pm: Ski and Snowshoe Demo’s- Eastern Mountain Sports of Hadley will provide FREE snowshoe and X-country ski for demonstrations. Ask questions; learn tips and tricks of these winter sports!
- 12:00pm-4:00pm: Horse Drawn Hay Rides and Pony Rides- by Tetrault Farm. $3 Adults, $2 for Kids 2-16 and kids under 2 are free.
- 12:00pm-4:00pm: Music with DJ Bobby C- Come enjoy live music by one of Greenfield’s most popular DJs.
- 12:30pm: Community Wide Tug of War- Gather ‘round for a good old fashion pulling contest!
- 1:00pm: K9 Keg Pull- Organized by Paws Park Group- Great fun, and just possibly the most endearing event you’ll ever attend, dogs of all shapes and sizes sprint for glory down a snow-packed course pulling appropriately sized “kegs” – for a Chihuahua, that’s a beer can, while mighty rotts or shepherds pull full-size kegs. Dogs race against the clock while their owners urge them on and spectators contribute a cacophony of cheers. The $5 entry fee goes straight to the Paws Park of Greenfield. Bring your own dog to race (arrive early) or merely enjoy the spectacle - you’ll love it. Please be considerate and pick up after your dog.
- 1:00pm: Ice Bowling- Come experience ice bowling on our new rink! Can you get a strike on ice?
- 1:30pm: Broom Ball- Attempt to sweep away your competition in a round of broom ball. No skates needed, only sneakers or boots!
- 1:30pm: Check In Cardboard Sled Entries at Sled Check in Station. Save time by pre-registering your sled on-line. Pre-registration available until Thursday, January 31st. Pre-Register for the Cardboard Sled Race Today! Pre-Registration must be Completed by Thursday, January 31st
- 2:30pm: Cardboard Sled Contest at Beacon Field- Your creativity is limitless! Just about anything goes!! NOTE: If no snow, bring your sled to the field. They will be judged on creativity and construction. The RULES are as follows:
- Sled MUST be made of cardboard. Papier-mâché, tape, glue, and paint are also permitted.
- Sleds may not have plastic wrap, wood or other bottom surface material, or runners (unless cardboard). Tape is ok.
- Parents may help children build their sleds.
- One Entry per person
Prizes will be awarded for the following categories:
- Youth- Under 16: Fastest, Most Creative, Zaniest, and Best Crash
- Group- 2 or more all ages: Fastest, Most Creative, Zaniest, and Best Crash
- Adults-16 and over (single riders): Fastest and Most Creative
- Corporate Challenge: Best Design
- Overall Best Greenfield Theme
- Overall People’s Choice
- 3:45pm: Awards Ceremony. Announcement of the Cardboard Sled Race, Cookie Bake-Off, Chili Cook-off, Snow Sculpture Contest, and Lego Contest winners.
Winter Carnival Snack Bar and Souvenirs
Hot food, drinks, snacks, and souvenirs on sale Sunday, February 3rd at Beacon Field. Travel Mugs, Greenfield Recreation Hoodies,
Long and Short Sleeve Winter Carnival Shirts available.
Adult and Youth Sizes.
Greenfield Winter Carnival
Brought to you by
The Greenfield Recreation Department
and these sponsors:
Bete Fog Nozzle
D'Angelo Grilled Sandwiches
Franklin County Amateur Radio Club
Green Field's Market
The Sandri Companies
All About Beads
Awards & Specialties
Berkshire Brewing Company
The Body Shoppe
Burger King of Greenfield
The Cookie Factory
Greenfield Savings Bank
Green Mountain Creamery
Hope & Olive
Lefty's Brewing Company
Richard D. Smith
Richardson's Candy Kitchen
World Eye Bookshop
The Zaccheo Family
Adam & Eve/ Swift Cleaners
Baker Office Supply
David Singer, Attorney & Mediator
Greenfield Savings Bank
Ryan & Casey Liquors
Wilson's Department Store
A very special thank you to
Greenfield Department of Public Works
Bill Cardaropoli, Jill Fitzsimmons,
Rick Roy, Barbara Zaccheo
Greenfield Recreation Department
20 Sanderson Street Greenfield, MA 01301
Check out our programs all year long!
We create community through people, parks, and programs!